Hawthorn’s Extreme Cocktail Competition
Created in the Second World War by a Royal Navy Commander and smuggled to sea, Hawthorn’s was hidden by the Commander and saved for his personal consumption. As the days at sea wore on he shared his tipple with his comrades and together they found that life became that little bit more enjoyable.
Today we believe that drinking gin and making gin cocktails makes life more enjoyable and this has inspired us to launch our competition where the overall winner can win up to $1200.
We are starting at the semi final where we offer the chance for 5 bartenders to win $200 simply by creating something not only that the Commander would have been proud of but also your friends, your dog, cat, or Grandma. They all count and they only need access to a computer; just ask them to ‘like’ your concoction. The top 5 bartenders picked will make it through to the Grand Final where they have the chance of winning the 1st prize of $1000 and the runner up prize of $500.
THINK OUTSIDE THE GLASS. Use your IMAGINATION and dare to be different. Consider what everybody else might do and then do the opposite. Maybe you could find somewhere better to create your masterpiece than your kitchen; the top of a mountain perhaps? A boat, helicopter, canoe, train, bicycle, skateboard or grand piano? Don’t forget the cocktail needs a name too!!
We don’t mind but we will score you highly for your imagination. Be aware however, that you cannot serve up a Hawthorn’s Gin on the rocks just because you are wearing some cool fancy dress or are a supermodel. We’ll consider this as an entry if you are standing on top of the Burj Khalifa (Dubai) radio mast or on the summit of Everest. We wouldn’t expect you to carry mixers up there!
Still interested? Great, well here are the more official bits:
- Competition open from 1st July to 31st Feel free to send a practice video for an unofficial review and try to contain your excitement
- Competition open to bartenders from across WI, CT, MI, SC and IL only (U.S competition only)
- You need a minimum of 50 likes before your video can be entered into the competition
- To enter, upload your video to your Facebook profile timeline and tag @hawthornsgin to your entry. Please also use the #hawthornsgin in your explanation
- You must include your bottle of Hawthorn’s Gin in the video edit
The criteria on which you will be judged is as follows:
 1) Overall appearance, garnish, complexity of ingredients
 2) Total number of views
 3) Creative content
 4) Imagination (serve, location, glassware, soundtrack)
 5) Number of “sous-chefs” (cameramen, ice cutters, drivers etc.)
 6) Cocktail name (& brief description of why you chose this)
There are a total of 100 points available [as above] in the 6 categories with 10 bonus points available for sheer brilliance. This is at the discretion of the judges but you may wish to include a “why I deserve the bonus points” in your video.
For some of you this challenge will be really easy. For some it will demand a little more application but each entry will be judged fairly and with an open mind 😉
For questions and comments email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Official Hawthorn’s Gin Extreme Cocktail Competition 2017
Terms and Conditions
- Only open to bartenders in CT, WI, MI, SC and IL aged 21 or over, excluding employees of 180 East Ltd.
- Entries should be submitted on your personal Facebook page but please remember to tag @hawthornsgin and include a bottle of Hawthorn’s Gin in your video edit.
- Enter between 00:01 on July 1st and by 23.59 on the 31st August 2017 (“Promotional Period”)
- Cocktails need to include at least 1 oz of Hawthorn’s Gin 41% abv.
- One entry per person during the promotional period.
- Entries must meet the entry criteria and abide by the rules of the competition.
- Only entries with more than 50 Likes will be entered into the competition.
- Entries must be in the form of a long or short drink containing a minimum of 1oz of Hawthorn’s Gin.
- All entrants’ drinks must be entered with full specifications, cocktail name and video on your Facebook timeline page.
- Any videos submitted must have been created and owned by you, the entrant. Any ideas or recipes submitted in whatever form must be the sole and unique work of you, the entrant.
- One Semi Final will be held between July 1st 2017 and August 31st 2017
- One Grand Final will be held in September 2017. Organisers reserve the right to change this date due to any unforeseen circumstances.Prizes
- Stage One Prizes: (Semi Final) Invitations to enter an extreme video in the Hawthorn’s Gin Cocktail competition. Competition expenses not provided. 5 x winners will receive $200 in prize money each.
- Grand Final – 1 winner will be picked to win the grand prize of $1000.00
- 2nd place will receive $500 prize
- Entries must be submitted no later than 23.59 on the 31st August 2017.
- Successful finalists will be informed no later than Friday 15th September
- The Grand Final will commence on October 1st and finalists will be given 3 weeks to complete their next challenge. – Organisers reserve the right to change these dates due to any unforeseen circumstances.
- Recipes must contain a minimum of 1 oz. of Hawthorn’s Gin.
- Ingredients may be measured using a jigger or similar measure or freely poured.
Drinks & Preparation
- For the Semi Final the drink(s) must be assembled in an extreme way showing technique and ingredients.
- Competitors must supply their own bartending utensils (shaker, bar spoon, strainer etc.) and any specialist ingredients or modifiers.
- Cocktails may be presented in any shape of glass, cup or other hygienic and safe receptacle. Note; points are awarded for presentation.
- Drinks may be served straight up, or over cubed, cracked or crushed ice.
- Winners of the Semi Final will be selected by the following criteria. All drinks entered on Facebook for the competition will be judged and scored with the following criteria and weighting – the top 5 highest scoring entries will be selected for the Final:
|Judging Criteria||Total 100 Points|
|Overall Appearance, Garnish Complexity of Ingredients||15 points|
|Total number of Views/Likes||25 points|
|Creative Content||25 points|
|Imagination (serve, location, glassware, soundtrack)||20 points|
|Number of Sous Chef’s (Cameramen, Ice Cutters etc)||10 points|
|Cocktail Name (& brief description of why you chose this)||5 points|
There are 10 further bonus points available for sheer brilliance.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to have the final decision on any matter relating to the judging of the competition.
- The competition organisers will appoint the panel of judges and reserve the right to replace or appoint new judges before or during the competition.
- The judges must remain impartial.
- The promoter accepts no responsibility for late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupted or misdirected entries.
- If more than one person has created an entry, entrants must pick only one person to be the entrant. The Promoter will assume that this person is empowered to act and respond on behalf of all those involved in the specific submission.
- Competitors must conduct themselves in a safe manner and any action considered by the organisers to endanger themselves or fellow competitors; judges or spectators will result in instant disqualification and possible ejection from the competition.
- If any video contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and / or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and / or if any persons appear in the video, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the video, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photo in the manner described in these terms and conditions without additional compensation. Failure to procure, or be able to supply on demand, any such releases or consents may result in the video being declared invalid.
By entering this competition, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
All participants must be of legal drinking age in the country that they reside in
We reserve the right to refuse entries based on their suitability. I hereby release, indemnify and hold harmless Hawthorn’s Gin, their trustees, employees, agents and assigns from any and all liability, damage, claim of any nature whatsoever arising out of or in any way related to my/participating in this Cocktail Competition. Participating in any activity is an acceptance of some risk of injury. I agree that my safety is primarily dependent upon my taking proper care of myself. I assume all risks related to the activities.
This Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You are providing your information to Hawthorn’s Gin and not to Facebook. The information you provide will be used for this competition only.